Thứ Sáu, 19 tháng 2, 2016

How to building a wedding wordpress website: Creating a guestbook


Looking at the site inventory for my project you see there's quite a lot of content that has to be copied over and pasted into my site, and to save you from watching me do all that work I've taken a page out of the TV chef playbook and cheated. So here you have the same site as I did before, except I've added in a bunch of more pages. So I go to the back end of my site now, and go to Pages. You'll see that in addition to the Your Invited page I've also created a Contact page, a Guest Info page with two child pages, Hotels and What to Wear, and then I have a Registry page and an RSVP page.

Now these are all standard pages. The only thing that you notice that's different is that the Hotels and What to Wear pages are children of the Guest Info page, and it can do this simply by going to Quick Edit and setting the Parent here to whatever page you want to be the Parent of the current page you're editing. You could also do that in the Page Editor itself, and I'm only doing this to structure the content as you'll see it later in the course. Now I want to create the Guestbook. Now here you have to think about what a guestbook is.
If you remember back 10, 15 years ago, the web was full of guestbooks, and it was simply a page that had some sort of welcoming message,and then allowed people to leave a little message on the bottom. So, essentially a guestbook is just a page with comments. The only thing is instead of having threaded comments where people can comment on a comment, you generally just have a string of comments on their own. And we can do that with WordPress and the standard commenting feature so we don't have to add any extra functionality to get a guestbook up and running.
In my prepared content, I already have the welcome message for a guestbook. It's right here. So I can copy that out, and then I can go and add a new page. I'll simply call it Guestbook, and I'll use Paste as Text to paste in the text, and then I'm going to make sure that Allow comments is on, but Allow trackbacks and pingbacks are off. Then I can simply publish this page, and it will now have a comments section.It's really that simple. If I go and view the page now, you'll see, in addition to the welcome message, we now have the section that says, Leave a Reply, and if you read the text you'll see it actually instructs people specifically to leave a reply below.

The cool thing about the WordPress comments section is that it's built into the core of WordPress and has things like validation and spam protection, and can instruct people to enter their email address and other information before they leave a comment. Now, once you choose to use the comments section for this particular purpose you also need to go change some of the commenting settings. Those settings are found in the dashboard under Settings and Discussion. Now depending on when you set up your site, these settings might be a little bit different, but what you want for this particular purpose that we are talking about here is the following: Allow people to post comments on new articles.
If you would have this unchecked then no one can leave messages anywhere. Then, under Other comment settings check Comment author must fill out name and email address and uncheck Enable threaded or nested comments. That way you'll just get one string of commentsstraight down. You don't have a bunch of different comments that are responses to other comments and so on. Now, this again is an option.If you want people to communicate inside the guestbook you can, but if you want to make it a traditional guestbook then you just want one string.
Under Email me whenever I would check both of these, and under Before comment appears I would uncheck both so that people don't have to wait for the comment to be approved before it appears. This does mean you need to make sure that you have spam protection on through Akismet, which we'll talk about later in the course, but chances are you'll be able to manage whatever spam comes in. At the very bottom, you also want to turn off this Avatar Display. So by default WordPress toggles this on and shows avatars which are actually the images from people's Gravatar accounts, but I'm gonna make a wild guess that not everyone who's gonna come to your wedding or special event will have a Gravatar account so you'll get a lot of these weird little icons instead, and for our purposes it actually makes sense to turn this feature off.
So once you've made these minor changes, click Save Changes and voila! You have a properly functioning guestbook using only the standard features in WordPress.

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét